Date(s) - 10/28/2017
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Kingwood Metro Park n Ride Lot
The City of Houston cancelled our local B.O.P.A. recycling event this October 28th. (BOPA is short for Batteries, Oil, Paint, and Anti-freeze).
We are getting lots of questions as to when the next BOPA will be. Is there an alternative? The good news is that many of the items that are collected at BOPA events can be recycled every day locally:
- Leftover paints can be given away on Freecycle or on the FREE section of Kingwood Bookoo
- Rechargeable batteries can be recycled at many hardware, electronic and department stores (Alspaughs, Sears Hardware, Best Buy, etc…).
- Used Motor Oil can be recycled at O’Reilly Auto Parts, 3219 W Lake Houston Pkwy in Kingwood (next to Walgreens) or Firestone (2166 Northpark Dr.) or Jiffy Lube (1890 Northpark Dr).
- Appliances and scrap metal will be picked up at your house by Junky Business
- CFL Bulbs are recycled at Home Depot and Lowes
- Styrofoam chips and even blocks can be brought to most UPS store. They reuse them for their packaging.
- The North Environmental Service Center (5614 Neches St in Houston) takes all BOPA items and hazardous materials like oil based paint, household chemicals, fuels, etc. (see their website for all items). It is open to Houston residents only, every 2nd Thursday of the month from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- The Westpark Consumer recycling Center is open Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and take all BOPA items and more (see website for all items) but not oil based paint and chemical.
- If you live outside the City of Houston but in Harris County your alternative is to take your items to the Harris County Collection facility. See the web site for times and location. If you live outside of Harris County contact us and we will try to find your closest drop off site.