The City of Houston comes to the Kingwood twice a year to collect BOPA items.
The events take place from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Kingwood METRO Park and Ride located at 3210 W. Lake Houston Parkway.
The following items are accepted:
– Latex Paint (15 gal limit)
– Used Oil (used motor oil & cooking oil – 15 gal limit each)
– Antifreeze (15 gal limit)
– Rechargeable Batteries (include automotive or other vehicle batteries)
– Large Appliances containing freon (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners)
– Scrap Metal (by Junky Business) including Xmas lights. No TVs
The following items are NOT accepted:
– Oil Based Paint
– Household AA, AAA, C and D alkaline batteries
– Household Hazardous Waste/Chemicals
– Business Waste, Medical Waste, PCB’s, Dioxins, Ammunition, Explosives, Compressed Gas cylinders, Smoke Detector or Household Trash
If you miss the event, the good news is that many of the items that are collected at BOPA events can be recycled every day locally:
– Leftover paints can be given away on Freecycle or on the FREE section of Kingwood Bookoo
– Rechargeable batteries can be recycled at many hardware, electronic and department stores (Alspaughs, Sears Hardware, Best Buy,…).
– Used Motor Oil can be recycled at O’Reilly Auto Parts, 3219 W Lake Houston Pkwy in Kingwood (next to Walgreens) or Firestone (2166 Northpark Dr.) or Jiffy Lube (1890 Northpark Dr).
– Appliances and scrap metal will be picked up for at your house by Junky Business for a small fee
– CFL Bulbs are recycled at Home Depot and Lowes
– Styrofoam chips and even blocks can be brought to some UPS store. They reuse them for their packaging.
The North Environmental Service Center (5614 Neches St in Houston) takes all BOPA items and hazardous materials like oil based paint, household chemicals, fuels, etc. (see their website for all items). It is open to Houston residents only, every 2nd Thursday of the month from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The Westpark Consumer recycling Center is open Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and take all BOPA items and more (see website for all items) but not oil based paint and chemical.
If you live outside the City of Houston but in Harris County your alternative is to take your items to the Harris County Collection facility. See the web site for times and location. If you live outside of Harris County contact us and we will try to find your closest drop off site.